Saturday, September 26, 2009

National Banned Books Week - Read!



Reading - it's good for you!

Celebrate YOUR freedom to read during Banned Books Week, September 29th to Oct 6. I'm planning to go through my Library catalog on LT and mark all the books that have been challenged, withdrawn or otherwise burned over the years.  Here's one list (there are several compiled over the years) of the most challenged books. Have you read any?

Many thanks to the Intellectual Freedom Committee of ALA for the promotional material.

5 comments:

  1. Check out my quote from Dwight Eisenhower that's up right now. It fits right in with banned book week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the banned books list, and I'm proud to say I've read a good number of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read 20 from the list, and this week I plan to read one more, just because I hate the idea of banning any book for any reason! Which should I read: American Psycho or Blood & Chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I am grateful that we live in a country where we are legally free to read what we want. The only fear I have is the marketplace censor -- for instance Yale Press is publishing a book about the controversial Muslim cartoons without printing the cartoons themselves. This is the new form of book banning I believe. Maybe I should do a post on this issue.

    Thanks for stopping by & promoting a great week for readers.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina! I just love this event. I'm really passionate about reading, and I want to promote the habit of reading to as many people as I can.

    Unfortunately, some people are just not too open-minded about the themes of some books. I feel that banning books is akin to having them burned.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.