Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Favorites: The Agony and the Ecstasy

Last week, I was reminded of this wonderful chunkster of an historical biography when we were in Rome, and had to make the agonizing decision to skip seeing the Sistine Chapel again (we had both seen it before-and after the restoration), so we could use our limited time there to take in other sights we hadn't seen. We wanted to see more of Michaelangelo's works --particularly the sculpture, and came away with a renewed sense of awe at the talent, the soul, and the fortitude needed to produce these wonderful works of art. Irving Stone wrote numerous BIG ficitional biographies, and I've read many of them. Historical fiction of any era is one of my favorite genres. Stone's books were a staple of the BOMC that we first joined early in our marriage. I must re-read this one. Now having seen the real stuff again, I can't wait to sink back into Stone's wonderful insights into Michaelangelo's psyche, revisit the on again-off again relations with all of his patrons, and simply watch as he struggles to bring to birth some of the most glorious art man has ever produced. It won't ever be able to replace the glory of actually being here and seeing it, but it will help cement the memories.

3 comments:

  1. It's always nice when you've seen the things the book is talking about. See how beautiful it really is, because no matter how talented the author is, they never seem to catch the beautiful elegance of the art work etc. My mom went to Italay and saw all the statues, fountains etc that was written in "Angels and Demons" and it didnt do it justice.

    Wow, that was a mouthful!
    I also wanted to stop by to let you know I have an award waiting for you at my blog, and to wish you a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I have to get to Rome some day. I have serious Rome envy. I need a trip! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to be seeing this beautiful art in real life! This is one of those books I've alway meant to get to. Maybe someday . . .

    I've tagged you for fun meme - Hope you'll be able to join in!

    http://aseaofbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/abc-meme.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.