Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hidden in Plain View

I've not been able to keep up with everyone else's memes, so I decided to start one of my own...Hidden in Plain View.  Feel free to play along, just post a link to this one, so we can all stay in touch. This is a chance to dig a little deeper into our personal libraries to find books that may be languishing on the shelves and bring them out for a better look. I plan to do this weekly on Thursdays.  To join in:

1. Pick a random book from your library (I used random.org to pick mine from my LT catalog).
2. Tell us
  • title, author, #of pages, edition, (tags, and collections if LT)
  • why that book is in your library
  • whether you've read it or not
    • if so did you like it and why;
    • if not, do you plan to read it?
  • how and when you acquired the book
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have 24 'pages' of books in LT, so this week Random.org chose pg 17.  Then Random choose book 74 from the 100 books on that page.  This week's book is

  • Franklin and Winston, by Jon Meacham, 512 pages, hardcover, Random House, 2003;
    • Tags =   biography, history, WWII, Churchill, FDR, US Pres challenge, TBR;
    • LT collections= my library, to read
  • Both hubbie and I love to read biographies and history, and since this will help as an 'extra' when I'm doing the US President's challenge on LT, I scarfed it up. 
  • Haven't read it yet, but it's on my TBR list for when I get to FDR on the president's list. Since I'm only at Jefferson right now, this one will sit patiently on the biography shelf.  It promises to be a good one though and I'm looking forward to reading it.
  • I bought the book for $3 at a Friends of the Library booksale about 4 months ago. It had been withdrawn from the library's collection (I can't imagine why unless they had duplicates).

Here's a back cover blurb from Tom Brokaw:
"This is at once an important, insightful, and highly entertaining portrait of two men at the peak of their powers who, through their genius, common will, and uncommon friendship, saved the world. Jon Meacham's Franklin and Winston takes its place in the front ranks of all that has been written about these two great men."
So what's lurking in your library?

4 comments:

  1. I played along. Here's mine: http://booknaround.blogspot.com/2009/09/hidden-in-plain-view.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful use of Library Thing! when I am not about to get dressed to go to work (darn night shift) I will have to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.