Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Review: Roux Morgue by Claire M. Johnson


Since I've actually been to the restaurants out on Hegenberger Road in Oakland Calif many years ago, I can ever remember the donkeys mentioned in the preface of the book, so I was hooked from the beginning.  I'm always looking for new mystery series, and this one fit right in with one of my two unfinished categories in my 999 challenge: FOOD.  I figured, what could be more fun than Pastry?  Especially since it was in audio, and I could listen as I was doing my own holiday baking.

However.......I was disappointed.  I can't say if my expectations were too high, but the 'food' area was definitely lacking.  It was set in a cooking school, but the closest we really got to cooking, or pastry chefing in descriptions the aprons the chef students wore.

It was in short a thoroughly forgettable cardboard formula story. The 'mystery' was stupid, the main character needs a slap, and the food part was not worth wading through mediocrity.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Certainly not worth buying (i got mine from the library, and it's going right back) and not worth reviewing.

2 comments:

  1. it's funny how having a link with a book, like actually knowing the place it is set in, can hook you. I had that experience with a book called Stanley Park, a place I had visited while in Vancouver. It was a pretty good book but I think I liked it better being able to 'see' the setting.

    sorry you didn't like this one much. sort of nice cover.
    ...and actually, I think that is a review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the Vietnam 2010 challenge! If you could fill out the google form so we can keep track of participants, that would be great.

    here's the link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHhuWnRJYkJkMUpUQzNrbmhGb2dHNEE6MA

    Nothing too fancy, just a name, url, and reading goal. Helps us keep track of who is reading and where to look for reviews, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.