Sunday, December 20, 2009

2010 TBR Challenge

MizB's Reading Challenge Blog is hosting this one and it's made to order for me.  I've got to get the guilt level down a bit from all the fantastic books sitting here staring at me screaming "pick me! pick me!"

Here are the rules:

* the challenge is to read 12 TBR books in 12 months — you can read those all in one month if you want, or one a month, or however you wanna do it.
* you should have a list posted somewhere for others to see
* you CANNOT change your list after January 1st, of the current year!!!
* you can create an Alternates list of MAXIMUM 12 books, if you want, in order to have options to choose from (you can read these in place of books on your original list).
* audiobooks and e-books ARE allowed
* re-reads are NOT allowed, as they aren’t TRUE “TBRs”
* you CAN overlap with other challenges.


So here's my list (subject to change thru midnite Dec 31st);


1. Beat the Reaper byJosh Bazell
2. Fitzgerald Ruse by Mark de Castrique
3. School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
4. The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim
5. Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley
6. Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir by Katrina Kenison
7. The Woman who named God: Abraham's Dilemma and the Birth of Three Faiths by Charlotte Gordon
8. Amigoland by Oscar Casares
9. A Separate Country by Robert Hicks
10.When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman
11. Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir
12. Property by Valerie Martin

Now the challenge allows a list of 12 alternates (in case the fancy doesn't strike to read from the first list) so here are my alternates:

1. The Love Letters by Madeline L'Engle
2. The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst
3. Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
4. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
5. Here If you Need Me by Kate Braestrup
6. Death At La Fenice by Donna Leon
7. Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier
8. Alligator: A Novel by Lisa Moore
9. Journey to Portugal by Jose Saramago
10.In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick
11. The Language of Life: A Festival of Poets by Bill Moyers
12. Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

If you're fixin' to clean out some of that TBR pile to make room for more, mosey on over to MizB's and sign up.

4 comments:

  1. I will be reading The Calligrapher's Daughter next month for the book club I run at the library. I'm looking forward to it as I've heard good things. I also love Alison Weir's non-fiction and have read most of her Henry VIII books. The rest of hers are on my TBR list as well. In the Heart of the Sea is one of my favorite books. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you move it to the main list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually hoping to be able to finish all of these this year. They've been on my TBR shelves for awhile and I'm really anxious to get to them. They will probably however, take a little back seat to one of my other challenges to be posted later this week --the ARC cleanup challenge. I have 19 ARCS backed up (I'm struggling thru my earliest one and am about to give up) and MUST get those out first. I feel professionally obligated to do them, when I get a free copy in return for a review then I should be reading them first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't bring up the old ARC issue...lol

    1. Beat the Reaper was very funny IMHO
    3. School of Essential Ingredients.. One of my favorites this year. and a nice easy read too. which is noty why it was one of my favorites, I will have ya know!

    the only ones I can speak to sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input on the list...it helps to have some recommendations from people whose taste i like ....so I can move those up to an early slot on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.