Thursday, December 17, 2009

The envelope please

After reading 175 books this year, it was hard to narrow down to choose the best.  I read some really good ones, and a few dogs. But the overwhelming feeling here is that it was a very successful year for reading, and for getting to know some great fellow readers. The list here is my personal judgement of the best books I read...they may not be on someone else's list, but these are my award winners. So without further ado...the envelopes please.

Best Children's or YA books:
    Sea chest by Toni Buzzeo
    The Secret Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
Best Fiction
   Sacred hearts by Sarah Dunant
   Saudade by Kathleen Vaz
   Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Best Mystery
  Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey
  Rizzo's war by Lou Manfreda
  Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
Best Non-fiction
    Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris
    The Dark Side: the inside story of how the War on Terror turned into a war on American Ideals by Jane  Mayer
    Night by Elie Wiesel
    The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough
    Rule Number Two by Heidi Squier Kraft
Best Short stories
    The Blackford Oakes Reader by William F. Buckley, Jr.
     Ship Fever by Andrea Barrett
     Our Lady of the Artichokes by Kathleen Vaz
Best poetry
     Dante's Divine Comedy - The Inferno
    
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Favorite new authors discovered this year:
Andrea Camilleri - the Inspector Montalbon series
Donna Leon - the Commissario Brunetti series
Kaye Gibbons
Deborah Crombie - Gemma James/Duncan Kincaid series

How does your list stack up?

2 comments:

  1. wow, a lot on there I have not read.
    I must agree with The Brutal Telling...even though I never wrote a review of it, I loved it.
    and since the Johnstown book made the list, I will have to read it.
    ok, I was going to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great list and some books I haven't even read yet. Thanks for sharing this. I haven't made my list yet.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.