Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mini Review: The Mysterious Affair at Styles


Normally, I would have included this in my weekly audio post, but since this is my very first Agatha Christie I wanted to post it separately.  I've seen several Hercule Poirot mysteries on TV, and Agatha Christie has received millions of words of praise for her writing abilities, so I have no intention of doing a formal review.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles is the first Poirot story in which not only Poirot, but also Hastings, his sidekick are introduced.  Poirot's sartorial fastidiousness, his tendency to assume Hastings is making the same assumptions he does--only to discover that Hastings is often in the dark--and his meticulous methodology are well established even in this first story.

I found reading this (even with my ears) a delightful experience and look forward to many more Christies.  I think that I had been afraid that perhaps the writing would have had an old-fashioned stiltedness that I would find boring.  I assure you it wasn't the case.  This was every bit as fun as the TV series--in fact I suspect I will find the rest even more so.

Nadia May(aka Davina Porter) did her usual good job of narration.

7 comments:

  1. You know, I find that "they just don't write mysteries like this anymore". Today's mysteries are often gory, full of inane CSI-style narration, and tend to lack that 'clever' factor that made authors like Christie and Stout's novels so fantastic -- and fun!

    And yes, Christie's books get even better. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Miss Marple, but the Poirot novels and the stand-alones are very enjoyable. You have lots to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review, I have read this Agatha Christie. I am attracted to this one because of the cover. I love it! It's so different, in some way, from the covers we see today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any Agatha Christie in ages. Thanks for the reminder that it's time to read Christie again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read her in years, but I think I read every book she wrote when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. Nadia May is a very good narrator. Davina Porter is an excellent narator. They are two very different people.

    fan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanda McCaddon also uses the names Nadia May and Donada Peters but not Davina Porter.

    fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have egg on my face....of course I meant Donada Peters NOT Davina Porter. They are all excellent, but Anonymous fan is correct. So

    Donada Peters is the same person as Nadia May and Wanda McCaddon. Davina Porter is someone else.

    Slinking off to hide my face.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.