Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Salon

.

Normally on Sundays, during any kind of sports season, we like to curl up in the great room after a late leisurely breakfast and read. In cool seasons, we have a big fire in the fireplace, in warmer times we open the sliders to get the benefit of the breeze off the river right in front of us.

Today, in my church, it's Palm Sunday.  That meant choir at our morning Mass (8:00) and then more choir practice for all the services coming up this week.  By the time I got home for breakfast it was after 11!  Hubs had already done the fruit and chopped the ingredients to put together a nice frittata.  So by the time we settled down to watch basketball (we're rooting for West Virginia) and the Red Sox, I was ready for a nap......and with a big fat cat in my lap and a comfy recliner in front of the fire (it's only 34 outside right now), I was in lala land quickly.

I was planning to read big chunks of my two current reads:

Half Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage that redrew the Map of the New World, by Douglas Hunter.
This is a slow but very interesting read.  There is a lot of historical detail, it is obviously well-researched, and full of explanations about the trade and policitics of the early 17th century, as well as the details of sailing ships and voyages.  It will probably take me another month to finish it, but I'm certainly enjoying what I'm reading so far.

The Man from Saigon by Marti Leimbach.  This is my latest LT Early Reviewers book and I've just started this one.  It begins well  drawing the reader right in, and has me itching to get into it.  I hope to get this one done during the week.


In the late evenings before I nod off for good, I've also been listening to Wolf Hall, this year's Man Booker Prize winner by Hilary Mantel.  This is an absolutely gorgeous read, and I'm planning to buy a print copy for our personal library.  The audio is well done, and really brings the characters into focus.  I'm about 2/3 done on this one and it is definitely deserving of all the raves it's been getting.

Finally, I've been listening to Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler.  I've never been able to get into her other books: Accidental Tourist and Back When we were Grownups are two others that come to mind.  I was really hooked on this one from the beginning however, and had great hopes.  But as I discussed with my husband at breakfast this morning, it has suddenly gone flat.  It's like someone brought a big pot of stew to a potluck supper, and it smelled so delicious you ladled out a huge helping and prepared to gorge yourself, but as you ate you kept looking for the beef.  I'm quickly getting tired of the main character, a weak willed, namby-pamby high school teacher named Liam.  The only thing holding my interest at present is the Baltimore setting.  Don't be surprised if this one shows up on an Unfinished Friday post.

So  tonight, I plan to get some serious reading done, both the eye and the ear variety.  I hope your teams win, your spring is warmer than ours, and your reading is rewarding. Be sure to let us know if you drop by.

7 comments:

  1. I love Anne Tyler, but her characters are always namby-pambies. Not sure why.

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my Sunday Salon post today. I plan to give away two $10 gift cards to Amazon on Easter Sunday. I hope you will stop by and sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with Anny Tyler too. I've just quit trying.

    I am going to have to go ahead and get Wolf Hall - everything just sounds like it's a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear the audio of Wolf Hall is good. I was hoping that would be the case.

    Have a great Week Tina
    !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been able to enjoy Anne Tyler either. Maybe we're all on to something here - as in all the hype is phony?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I boo-booed the first time!

    I sent you a virtual Easter basket, please check out my blog.

    http://chelisshelves.blogspot.com/2010/03/hersheys-better-basket-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought one of Tyler's books at a library sale, Digging to America. Not sure what I have read of hers before but figured it was worth 25cents.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.