Tuesday, August 18, 2009

They're Everywhere!!

As you can see , my TBR shelf is full--in fact it's grown to four shelves.

Since I confess to being someone who likes to seem like I'm in control, I decided to take today to prioritize things so I could leave town next week with a clear conscience:
  • I have my sister Cheli lined up to do a guest review of one of the books she 'borrowed' from my TBR pile
  • I'm taking my last 999 book (Saudade by Katherine Vaz) with me to finish while cruising (or flying over the Atlantic)
  • I've been trying to straighten up the office and blog space because my daughter is going to house-sit/vacation/work here, and I'd like her to have a place to put a coffee mug at least.
So what happens when I return on Labor Day?

Although I'm participating in several personal reading challenges, I'm going to give priority to ARCs and Early Review copies I've agreed to read and review.

First priority: I have four books that I personally received from the authors:
  • Susan Vaughan, a local author who has written several suspense romances, gave us a copy of her latest book Primal Obsession. Knowing how difficult it can be for Indie presses to get wide coverage, I offered to review for the blog. It's first up when I get back.
  • Sam Moffie offered me a copy of No Mad. I confess it wouldn't be something that I would normally go out and buy, but I have been trying to expand into new genres and this looks like it will be interesting.
  • Circle of Souls was sent by Preetham Grandhi -- another story with a young psychiatric patient with visions, her pyschiatrist, a murder, art therapy; the book cover calls it a "Stunning pyschological thriller". After reading The Rapture I think I can handle this and am looking forward to it.
  • The Saint and the Fasting Girl was sent by the author Anna Richenda. It arrived just as I finished Sacred Hearts and I wanted to put some space between the two. It will be an excellent read for my 2nd 999 challenge's Historical Fiction category.
Then there are two Early Reviews I received from LT-- they will be the next up. Both are books I really wanted because the suspense thriller is a genre I am coming to enjoy more and more.
  • Rizzo's War by Lou Manfredo
  • Guardian of Lies by Steve Martini
Shortly after those, I have to get to ARCs I've received from publishers, and I'm going to try to behave myself and not request any more (unless they are to die for!) until I get this pile under control. In no particular order they are...
  • The Maze Runner, by James Dasher - due out in October. I'm trying to expand and read more YA, and fantasy: genres I don't normally read. This one really caught my attention.
  • The Weight of Silence, a book about children lost in the woods by Heather Guedenkauf. After I survived reading Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon,I guess I can do this one without fainting.
  • Half-Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage that Redrew the Map of the New World by Douglas Hunter. I love biography, and this book is a topic that really interests me.
  • The Boy who Harnessed the Wind LP: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba. Set in Malawi, this is a true story of courage and inventiveness. I have enjoyed the previous books I've read this year set in various countries of Africa, and this will be another to help expand my knowledge. I'm hoping this will also be suitable for the YA group in our library.
  • An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkerson by Andro Linklater. I requested this one because it's set in a period I love to read about- the American Revolution- and it's about someone I'd never heard of. Curiosity is a great reason for picking books...
  • Sand Sharks by Margaret Maron. I love the Deborah Knott series, so when Hachette Books offered me the chance to review and run a contest to share this one with others, I could not resist.
  • The Christmas Cookie Club: A Novel by Ann Pearlman. I am a Christmas cookie nut...I go absolutely crazy baking for weeks before the holidays, and if I'm not going to be with people, I actually mail giant boxes of them. I'm always looking for new recipes and new mysteries, so in spite of the plain red cardboard wrapper on the galley proof, this one looks great. I'm hoping to be able to try some of the recipes as I read it, so I can share the results in my review.
  • The Evolution of God, by Robert Wright. I honestly don't remember requesting this one, but it is an area in which I read a lot. I've tried three times to read Karen Armstrong's History of God but just couldn't get into it. Maybe this one will be better.
  • South of Broad by Pat Conroy. Another of my favorite writers, and settings.
  • The Brutal Telling (An Armand Gamache Novel) by Louise Penny. Another of my favorite authors. I was thrilled to be able to be among the first to get this one. My sister also wants it, so I may try to eek out a spot in the luggage to take it along for the cruise. The Armand Gamache books are some of the best in the genre today. I hope this one doesn't disappoint.
And finally, there are three others that I received as prizes from other people's contests that I am itching to get to:


So if you are OCD and counted the books in the pictures, there are 75 there. The ones that are left after the ARCs, and ERs are books that were on my original list to be read for various challenges during 2009. I'm not sure I can finish all 75 of them before New Years but I'm going to have a wonderful time trying.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I had that many new books on my shelves to be read. Unfortunately my TBR "pile" is actually an excel spreadsheet that keeps growing and growing and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too keep an excel spreadsheet that actually has 13 worksheets in it to track books by category, or different challenges, arcs, and contests I've entered.

    But it is also a master list of everybook that I've seen online where I've said "Gee that looks interesting...I'd like to read that." Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy it, but I do want to check it out.

    Now that I have a Blackberry, I'm gonna figure out how to link that excel (I think Google lists?) so I can have my list with me in the library and/or bookstores.

    Anyway...if I get to choose, Heaven is a giant library with big stuffed chairs, an endless coffee/tea/hot chocolate bar (with lots of cookies) and a good lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that you're a big fan of Christmas cookies. Did you ever read Livia J. Washburn's The Christmas Cookie Killer? Or how about Leslie Meier's Christmas Cookie Murder?

    I love Christmas mysteries and pretty much anything Christmas-related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That type of heaven would be...well...heaven! Throw in the cuddly cat or three to curl up on your toes under a big fuzzy blanket and it'd be perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED looking at your shelves. I use an excel spreadsheet to track my unread books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the pile method to keep track of my unread books...lol

    But wait, how did I miss this cruise thing? where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You reminded me, gotta get organized myself!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.