Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review: Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy

I've always been a big fan of Maeve Binchy, but didn't have this one on my radar. I noticed it on the new audiobooks shelf while I was waiting to check out at the library last week. I'm always looking for 'cozies' to listen to in the car, and while I'm dropping off to sleep at night....while this didn't disappoint, I wouldn't give it as many stars as some of her previous books. Again, she presents us with a cast of characters, all tied together by place (appears to be small suburb of Dublin), and sorta by their purpose -- a heart clinic -- but each has his or her own story, and motivation. Ultimately of course, there is the on again-off again romance (at least one good one, and a couple less well developed on the side) there are the duty nasties who may or may not melt into good guys at the end (I'll not do any spoiling), and several cameo appearances from characters in her previous novels. It's Irish, so there's the duty priest, the town widow, and in a newer twist, there are some Polish immigrants. Again, while the setting may be different, the script is becoming fairly predictable. Still ...an enjoyable read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.