Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review: Great Souls - Six Who Changed the Century

Another nominee for Best of the Year. I picked this book as an audio and almost returned it because I didn't think I'd have time to listen to it. I decided to listen to the first track and was hooked. David Aiken, a reporter for Time, draws on interviews and 23 years of world wide reporting to bring us a deeply personal, thoroughly inspiring group of biographies of the six people he considers to be among the most influential of the 20th century. His nominees are Billy Graham (salvation), Nelson Mandela (forgiveness), Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (truth), Mother Terasa (compassion), Pope John Paul ll (human dignity), and Elie Wiesel (remembrance). He shows both the warts and the halos, and explains why he finds these "souls" not only a personal inspiration, but important historical figures. It is a book that certainly will have me looking for more about every one of the six personages. I was absolutely thrilled with this book. If I could give it 6 stars, I would. I will be haunting the book vendors to get my own copy to read and re-read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.