Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday Mailbox -Sept 17th

Thank goodness the mail was slow this week...I'm getting behinder and behinder on the ones I already have. Only two this week - one in the snail mail and another in my Nook mail box

Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal was a  gift from my sister.  I recently nabbed a review copy of the second in this series when she mentioned that she'd mistakenly gotten two of the first one and would I like it.  The series looks like it's right up my alley - mystery, and historical fiction.

London, 1940. Winston Churchill has just been sworn in, war rages across the Channel, and the threat of a Blitz looms larger by the day. But none of this deters Maggie Hope. She graduated at the top of her college class and possesses all the skills of the finest minds in British intelligence, but her gender qualifies her only to be the newest typist at No. 10 Downing Street. ...Maggie finds that working for the prime minister affords her a level of clearance she could never have imagined—and opportunities she will not let pass....Ensnared in a web of spies, murder, and intrigue, Maggie must work quickly to balance her duty to King and Country with her chances for survival. And when she unravels a mystery that points toward her own family’s hidden secrets, she’ll discover that her quick wits are all that stand between an assassin’s murderous plan and Churchill himself.&
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a few months since I finished my last Presidential biography but since I'm determined to complete the challenge of reading a biography of each before I die, I figured it was time to get with it.  I thoroughly enjoyed Harlan Unger's "The Last Founding Father", a biography of James Monroe so I was really excited to see his newest book John Quincy Adams published earlier this month and grabbed it for my NOOK.  JQ Adams was next in line in my Presidential reading queue, and I don't expect this one to be anything but splendid.

In this masterful biography, award winning author Harlow Giles Unger reveals Quincy Adams as a towering figure in the nation’s formative years and one of the most courageous figures in American history, which is why he ranked first in John F. Kennedy’s Pulitzer Prize–winning Profiles in Courage.

A magisterial biography and a sweeping panorama of American history from the Washington to Lincoln eras, Unger’s John Quincy Adams follows one of America’s most important yet least-known figures.
I'll be taking my time with this one, but I'm sure I'll be enjoying every minute of it.

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house recently. Created by Marcia at The Printed Page, Mailbox Monday, now has its own blog. Hosting duties are rotated every month. Kathy at Bermudaonion's Weblog is our host for September. Be sure to drop by to see what everyone else got this week.

2 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to say I know nothing about JQA..well, except being president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Caite...I'll try to provide something substantive whenever I finish the book and do a review. In the meantime, you might watch the movie "Amistad" - that's where I learned most of what I so far know about him. Very impressed.

      Delete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.