Saturday, April 25, 2009

Review: Gilead

Warning...this is not a real review because I just could NOT finish this book. I read almost 125 pages, then tried listening to it on audio, and frankly just found it plain BORING. I know it won the Pulitzer, but it's not a prize winner for me. Set in the midwest, the main character is a dying old man who has been a preacher all his life, he was the son of a preacher, and his best friend was a preacher. He marries late in life, has a son, and decides as he's dying, to write letters to his son to be read in the son's adulthood. This is after he claims to have hand-written 67,000 pages of weekly sermons. The man sure do like to hear his own words! But those words are dry, drier, and make for the driest book I have ever read. Several other reviewers have indicated that it takes a while to get into, but after two weeks of 'getting into', I'm not willing to sap my energy anymore. Perhaps this is the reason for my previously reported reading funk?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Gilead, but I did read her novel Home (written after Gilead). I finished it, but I had to force myself. I kept thinking it had to get better. It didn't! Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes award winners prove something of a let down, very interested in hearing your response to this book. Don't you just hate the reading rut, I find when I'm stressed I have trouble getting into a book, ironic really when that is when you could most use the diversion and relaxation of a good book. Hope your next read is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.