Monday, December 31, 2012

End of a Great Reading Year

What a year!  I finished 147 books! 

I had a wonderful year reading about World War I - 16 in all. I'm also 1/2 way through my 17th - "Testament of Youth" by Vera Brittain. I'm not picking up another print book until I finish this one. It's excruciatingly beautiful and heartbreaking. I can see why it is considered a classic. A wonderful book my daughter insisted I read. ( I raised a very intelligent daughter)

I definitely proved that I am more comfortable with electronics than I ever thought I'd be. But if listening to audio books is what it takes to keep me healthy and working out three to four times a week, I may become the best read person in town. My totals don't always add up because several books I read in both audio and eye format (either print or Nook/Kindle) but here's the break down:

37 Print
79 Audio
36 E books

118 Fiction (80 mysteries)
27 Non-fiction (16 WWI, 12 Bio or Memoir)

95 came from the library
43 came off my shelves (both wooden, audio or electronic)
29 were ARCs

My Best reads of  the year: Fiction

Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny
Light Between the Oceans by M. L. Stedman
Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Pocketful of Names Joe Coomer
Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

The Best of the my reading year : Non-Fiction
The Beauty and the Sorrow  by Peter Englund
Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard
To end all Wars: A story of Loyalty and Rebellion by Adam Hochschild
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe

It was a wonderful year, and I'm looking forward to another good year of reading and other fun activities.  My blogging will be much less frequent in 2013.  Tune in tomorrow morning to see how Tutu plans to spend the New Year.  In the meantime, if you're stopping by, let us know what some of your best reads of the year were.

1 comment:

  1. You have had a terrific reading year, Tina. The non-fiction fare looks appetising. I re-read a couple of very fine books by Jawaharlal Nehru, independent India's first prime minister. His "Discovery of India" will leave the reader spellbound.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.