Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cozy Time: Murder for Peacocks by Donna Andrews

Author: Donna Andrews
Publisher Format: St. Martin's Paperbacks, Mass Market, 311 pages
Year of publication: 2006
Subject:Three weddings and a murder
Setting: Yorktown VA
Series: Meg Landslow Mystery
Genre: cozy mystery
Source: my own shelves
Rating: 4.5

This is a series I've been wanting to read for a long time.  Many of my sisters, and my friends have pushed and prodded me, and it's not that I didn't want to read them, I just didn't make time.  That has changed.  The first one in the series, this one was a hoot.  I thoroughly enjoyed the adventures of Meg Langslow, uber maid of honor who is single-handedly managing three different wedding parties scheduled in three weeks in her home town of Yorktown VA. The first is for her best friend, the second for her brother, and the third is her own mother.

Each bride is trying her best to win the Bridezilla of the year contest.  Andrews has assembled one of the looniest, yet lovable cast of characters yet appearing in a cozy. There is the dog who hates everyone, the duck who follows a nephew around like a dog, a group of gossipy busy-bodies, two grooms who appear to be anything but enthusiastic about their upcoming nuptials, another bride (Meg's mother) who insists on major room redecorating at the drop of a hat, a group of Vietnamese seamstresses who can only be interpreted by the son (he's so gorgeous - is he gay?) of the shop owner, and the town Doctor, ex-husband (father of Meg) who seems murder and conspiracy in every bowl of salsa.  It is a knee-slapping hoot with a great story, several red herrings to go along with the parading peacocks, and a little slightly blooming romance thrown in.  I can't wait to read the next in this very popular series to see what else could possibly happen.

2 comments:

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.