Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Favorites from the Past: The Thorn Birds

This one of those big wonderful summer reads that has everything. It continues to be one of my favorites, to be plucked from the shelf and re-read every 3-4 years. My copy is a paperback, so used that it no longer has a cover (it was held on with a rubber band, but seems to have disappeared), and has graduated now to the "look for a hard back in the used book sales" category. Like I said, this one has everything: spectacular settings and crises, both environmental and emotional in both Australia and Rome; a multi-generational cast with very strong characters in every generation; an illicit love affair between young Maggie and Fr. Ralph; the struggle to love and forgive; and heartbreaking tragedies. I keep thinking things like 'blockbuster', bestseller, phenomenal, page-turner; nothing really can describe the emotional reaction I had and still have when I read this book. If you haven't read it, you owe yourself a good read. This one is an epic not to be passed up. Anyone having a book sale in town?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.