Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Salon


The sun is shining, the snow has melted, and even though the temperature here in Maine is still hovering below 40° and yesterday we drove to see friends through a pretty decent 'snow shower', the smell of spring is in the air.  I think last night's "super moon" put everyone in the mood for the coming season.

To celebrate, the Tutu family is spending Sunday getting ready for the long awaited installation of some true high-speed broadband internet.  Up to now, our little house in the big woods has been deemed too far off the beaten track for anyone to be able to offer anything really good. We started with dial-up, (SLOOOooooow), moved up to satellite (faster, but EXPEN$$$$$$ive - and very limiting in any streaming and/or downloading) but finally tomorrow we get to graduate to play with the big guys with DSL.

So because the installers will have to be crawling under desks, behind bookcases, etc., to reach our phone and TV connections, we had the impetus to do some quick spring house cleaning and remove the dust bunnies, lost jelly beans and paper clips, and all the detritus that seems to gather at blogging stations. The cats have run away to hide, because in their experience, such an endeavor on the human side usually means a horde of company coming, and their favorite toys and snoozing spots disappearing for awhile.

I do plan to read for a good chunk of the day.  I finished the fabulous Julia  Spencer-Fleming's  One was a Soldier on the drive yesterday.  It was every bit as good as I expected (even better I think).  My review will be up later this week.  For now, just run to your bookstore or library and get on the list....it is her best yet!!  I also finished March, the Pulitzer Prize winner by another of my favorite authors, Geraldine Brooks.  It too was all that I expected.

Then yesterday, my name finally came back up on the reserved list at the library for the epub of Orange is the New Black.  I had downloaded it before, but only got it about 1/2 finished before it expired, so I had to go to the back of the line.  This time, I plan to keep better track of the expiration date.  And I am over half finished the YA fantasy The Emerald Atlas, which is a page-turner for sure.  So together with my newest audio, The Tiger's Wife, I'm looking forward to a great reading and listening (and swimming) weekend and week.

In the queue after the ones I just mentioned:

13 rue Thérèse by Elena Mauli Shaprio
The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French
Radio Shangri-La by Lisa Napoli
Night Road by Kristin Hannah
Strange Relation by Rachel Hadas

I think I have enough to keep me out of trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the DSL! Hope the installation went well. Spring is in the air in MN too in spite of the snow we are expecting Tuesday night. It won't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have snow this morning in NE PA and I see it's headed your way. Oh well, you'll have lots of reading time. Hope your DSL installer got there - it's been a lifesaver for me.

    BTW, changed my sign-in name from Rural View to my real name.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.