Sunday, October 3, 2010

National Book Group Month


The Women's National Book Association has once again provided us with a list of suggestions for reading groups to meet and discuss.  I love their slogan "Celebrating the Joy of Shared Reading."  I love to read, but there's something especially enjoyable about sharing one's reactions to a book with others, and finding out what they liked, what they disliked, how they interpret certain motivations, or what their expectations were before they read it.

Book groups are as many and varied as flavors of ice-cream.  I belong to one that reads by author rather than particular work, another that alternates fiction and non-fiction, a third is reading a different genre each month.  A new group we've just formed started by every one agreeing (quite firmly in fact) that they'd read anything except science fiction or fantasy. And then there are the giant virtual book groups online at LibraryThing and Goodreads.  The possibilities are endless.

I think this list will give any group enough to choose from.  I've personally only read three, but several others are in the queue.  How about you?  Do you participate in a book group?  What is your group reading?  Here's the list:

2010 Selections
Blame by Michelle Huneven
The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle
Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship by Cathie Beck
Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger
The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli
Molly Fox's Birthday by Deirdre Madden
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
The Queen of Palmyra by Minrose Gwin
Room by Emma Donoghue
Safe from the Sea by Peter Geye
Up from the Blue by Susan Henderson

2 comments:

  1. I have not read any of these and many I have not even heard of.
    I shall be looking into these and hopefully choosing some to add to my wishlist.

    I am envious of those who are in a book group......I just know that I cannot spare the time to join one. I could not keep to a tight schedule to read certain books .....I feel the pressure when I have a library book out and someone else has reserved it! :)
    It's all in the mind! LOL

    enjoy ur weekend

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great titles and ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.