Sunday, May 3, 2009

Review: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Here with a loaf of bread
beneath the Bough, A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse--and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness-- And Wilderness is Paradise enow.
Sound familiar? I had never read this enchanting work before, but have looked at it sitting on my shelf ever since I picked up a beautifully illustrated volume at a used book store in London years ago. I suspect it must be the source of the oft-quoted "loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thee..." I don't think I'm qualified to do a formal review, because I'm not an english lit or poetry major. But I did find the poetry moving, the rhyme scheme melodic, and the illustrations definitely enhancing the words. I came away with an appreciation of the beauty of the words, the pictures, and life in general. It can be read in about an hour. It could be studied and analysed for a lifetime.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.