Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Re - reading - an oft neglected joy!

I've recently become a devotèe of re-reading books.  As many of you know, one of my favorite genres is the mystery series, and there is no one better at writing in this format than Louise Penny.  Her Chief Inspector Gamache series is probably my all-time favorite.  Currently, to promote the tenth book of the series, her publisher, St. Martin's Minotaur is sponsoring an on-line "re-read" discussion of books 1-9.  I needed no further excuse to plunge in to refresh my memory to get ready for this new one coming out in August.

The discussion started yesterday with a welcome by one of my favorite bloggers, Lesa Holstine of Lesa's Book Critiques.
Her kickoff and the ensuing conversation is here at Still Life Part 1. I decided this time to "ear-read" it by listening to Ralph Cosham's splendid narration. I love to listen to audio books while I jog in the pool to soothe my arthritic joints.  I became so engrossed by reminders of details I'd forgotten about this first book, that I spent twice as long in the pool as I normally do.

I came home and spent the rest of that day, and most of the weekend finishing this luscious introduction to the Village of Three Pines, and one of the most engaging, endearing, and unforgettable casts of characters I've ever come across.  The on-line discussion is so much fun, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series again.

I used to say that I didn't have time to read a book I'd already read because that took away from my time to read a new one.  But as I read more, I realize that one read is not enough for a really good book.  There is so much to plumb from these that it will take at least two reads to be sure I haven't missed something.  Because everything Louise Penny writes is worth paying close attention. 

If you've not yet experienced  the fun and the utter beauty of Three Pines and its inhabitants, the utter terror of evil unleashed, and the relief of mysteries solved, you owe yourself a chance.  These are not typical mysteries.  Yes, there are bad guys, yes there are villains and murders, and clues and red herrings, but these are really stories about life and love and passion and longing and despair and hope.  Try them.  And join us in the discussion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.