Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Mailbox - July 8th

It's Monday, and now that it's July, Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Tasha at Book Obsessed.  It's been a quiet week for Tutu's mailbox, and I'm actually thankful since I'm getting caught up.  This week I only got one, but I think if I pay attention to the buzz, this one is going to be a biggie.

As a result of the galley grab from this spring's BEA, I requested and got an ARC of The Returned from Harlequin Mira.  I had vowed I wasn't going to take a real book on my vacation in a couple weeks, but I may have to break my promise. This one looks like one to pay attention to.
"Jacob was time out of sync, time more perfect than it had been. He was life the way it was supposed to be all those years ago. That's what all the Returned were."  
Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their only son, Jacob, died tragically at his eighth birthday party in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him, their wounds tempered through the grace of time.... Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep-flesh and blood, their sweet, precocious child, still eight years old. 
All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why this is happening, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation, but one thing they know for sure: he's their son. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargrave family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality and a conflict that threatens to unravel the very meaning of what it is to be human. 
With spare, elegant prose and searing emotional depth, award-winning poet Jason Mott explores timeless questions of faith and morality, love and responsibility. A spellbinding and stunning debut, The Returned is an unforgettable story that marks the arrival of an important new voice in contemporary fiction.
 I'll keep you posted on this one.  Meanwhile, hop on over to Tasha's blog and see what everyone else got this week.  I'll meet you over there. 

9 comments:

  1. A new one for me. Enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Returned does look good, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to reading that one too. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to The Returned - out here in September. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book too. Haven't gotten to read it yet. Also haven't seen any reviews for it, but I hear it is good.

    Enjoy your week.

    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's new to me but it sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an e-copy of this one...have not started it yet and will be curious what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this while browsing NetGalley today. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This title is new to me but has me very intrigued! I will keep an eye out for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.