Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wishlist Wednesday

A weekly wrap-up to help me highlight great books I've heard about on other blogs, or newsletters, or from my fellow librarians or readers on LT. This will help me keep track of books I see that I want to read, and give me some clue in the future about why I said I wanted to read them!


 The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace

From Shelf Talker:  An exquisite gem of a novel that blends fairytale and real-world emotion in the story of a blind contessa, her lover and her writing machine.  Reviews are giving many many stars for the exquisite writing. The cover itself is so poignant, portraying a world the Contessa loses when her sight gradually fades away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the Emperor Was Divine
By Julie Otsuka

We lived in Japan for several years and I'll never learn enough about that fascinating culture.  But this one is about the experiences of Japanese Americans during World War II, and the internment camps in which they were forced to live.  A recommendation from several  fellow LTers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
by Tom Franklin

Not due for release until October by William Morrow publishers, this one caught my eye because of the title--I thought it was a typo at first, then realized it refers to how children in the south are taught to spell Mississippi where the suspense thriller/novel is set!  M - I - crooked letter- crooked letter......etc etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 The Doctor and the Diva
by Adrienne McDonnell

This one leapt off the pages of my daily Shelf Awareness newsletter!  How could one not want to read historical fiction about a Harvard educated doctor and his opera singer patient whom he is treating for infertility?  From the blurb on the author's web page it sound like this could be quite a love story... or is it an obsession?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you see any new books (new releases and/or new to you) to tempt you this week?

2 comments:

  1. Love the cover and the book sounds great as well; thanks Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my eye on Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. Sadly, I did not get a review copy when I tried. Darn, I may have to buy it..lol

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.